[Sugar-devel] jhbuild obsoleted itself:)

Luke Faraone luke at faraone.cc
Wed Jan 14 16:49:39 EST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 4:15 PM, David Farning <dfarning at sugarlabs.org>wrote:

> I have just gone through the wiki and deleted the
> developmentteam/jhbuild/* pages:)
>
> These pages were created in around June of 2008 when jhbuild was the
> only method for running Sugar on non-XO platforms.  Now that we have
> packages for several distributions and will be using the distributions
> as our primary means of delivery, it makes sense to reduce the
> emphasis of jhbuild as a method for delivering Sugar to end-users.
>
> Don't worry, developmentteam/jhbuild is alive and well for 'developer' use.

David,

I don't see the justification in deleting these pages, they are still very
useful for developers who need to get up and running.

Those pages contained information about dependancies, etc that are different
for each platform.

Even if they were of questionable current usefulness, I'd rather keep things
around and simply put a "deprecated" header over them, so that people who
want the information can still see it. Deleting the content makes them
invisible to all but administrators, which is, imho, a bad idea.

I'm not going to revert your changes, but I disagree that these pages were
not useful. They are in the same category as redirects like
http://sugarlabs.org/wiki/index.php?title=Sugar_Labs/Meetings&action=edit&redlink=1,
http://sugarlabs.org/wiki/index.php?title=OLE_Presentation&action=edit&redlink=1,
http://sugarlabs.org/wiki/index.php?title=Presentations&action=edit&redlink=1,
and http://sugarlabs.org/go/IRC.