[Sugar-devel] ActivityTeam proposal

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 15:18:17 EST 2009

Yeah, I'm expecting the AT coordinators to be Gitorious admins with
the ability to add/remove users.  I'd rather not encourage wild
forking of activities with crazy patch flows if possible :)  I still
have a lot to learn about Gitorious.

However, the *easiest* way to contribute to an activity is:

git clone <activity url>
...make changes
git commit
git format-patch -1

Then email the 0001-My-commit-description.patch file to the
sugar-devel mailing list.

This approach doesn't require any help from anyone, so I suggest it as
the best way to "jump in".  But it gets cumbersome when you start
doing a lot of work, so you will want to do something like what you're
suggesting eventually.

-Wade

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Brian Jordan <bcjordan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Wade Brainerd <wadetb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello again,
>>
>> If you would like to join the ActivityTeam, the Contact page at
>> http://sugarlabs.org/go/ActivityTeam/Contacts is available for you to
>> add your name.
>>
>> When adding your name to the list, please take a minute and decide how
>> you will contribute to the effort.  Then, go over to the To Do List at
>> http://sugarlabs.org/go/ActivityTeam/TODO and put your name down next
>> to something using four tildes (~~~~).
>>
>> A lot of tasks are as simple as moving a Git repository or making sure
>> activities have up to date tarballs for distribution.  There are also
>> bigger tasks like helping to get activities.sugarlabs.org running or
>> taking up one of the High Impact tasks from the other thread.
>>

> (Pardon my inexperience with Gitorious)
>
> To become a contributor to an activity, is the suggested process (1)
> make account on Gitorious, (2) email owner of project directly, (3)
> wait to be added, (4) commit changes?
>
> What do you think about adding an active ActivityTeam coordinator to
> be an admin for each activity project, in case (3) takes a while? Or
> is there a global admin role that would allow for something like this?
>
> Over analyzing imaginary bottlenecks,
> Brian
>
>> Looking forward to seeing you there!
>>
>> -Wade
>>
>> PS - I'm hoping to make it down to XOcamp one evening this week,
>> either Tuesday or Wednesday.
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 1:46 PM, Wade Brainerd <wadetb at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all, hope you are enjoying FUDcon.
>>>
>>> Given the recent events at OLPC, I'm planning to refocus my activity
>>> development efforts on SugarLabs.  I imagine other activity developers
>>> are planning to do the same.
>>>
>>> SugarLabs is off to a great start getting packages into distributions,
>>> but I can't help noticing that the activities on the home page are
>>> essentially the same were shipped with OLPC build 650 back in 2007.
>>>
>>> One of the things that drew me to Sugar and OLPC was the promise of
>>> high quality, collaborative, constructivist educational software.
>>> While the initial activity set was good, it was also clear that there
>>> were large holes to be filled.  For a variety reasons, many of those
>>> holes remain two years later.
>>>
>>> And that's why I'm proposing the creation of a SugarLabs ActivityTeam.
>>>  The new team will be separate from the DevelopmentTeam, and will have
>>> the responsibility of maintaining and extending the suite of
>>> activities available for Sugar.
>>>
>>> We will:
>>> 1. Maintain and develop the current suite of Sugar activities.
>>> 2. Recruit and mentor activity developers from the community.