[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2009 is a go!

Rafael Enrique Ortiz Guerrero dirakx at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 14:52:10 EST 2009

FYI

Rafael Ortiz

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: LH <lhospo at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 11:17 AM
Subject: Google Summer of Code 2009 is a go!
To: Google Summer of Code Discuss <
google-summer-of-code-discuss at googlegroups.com>

Hello everyone,

While we will be making a formal announcement with more details later
this year, we wanted to let all would-be student participants in
Google Summer of Code 2009 know that we will be holding the program
once again this year. If you are interested in participating, it's a
great idea to begin investigating FOSS projects you would enjoy
contributing to *now*.

Not sure where to get started? No time like the present to subscribe
to project mailing lists, hang out in project IRC channels or in their
forums, check out some source code and start investigating how things
work. We have universally heard from our mentors that their most
successful students are those who got involved with the project early.
You'll look great to your would-be mentors if you ask them smart
questions. Major bonus points if you submit a patch or two. Going
through your first code reviews with a new Open Source project is a
rite of passage in FOSS development and it's a great way to show that
you are engaged with the project. Remember, your mentors want to learn
more about both your strengths and weaknesses, so don't be afraid to
make mistakes. They happen to the best of us.

If you're trying to decide which projects may be right for you or
would like to hear some advice from past participants, check out our
Advice for Students page:
http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforStudents

We'll be letting folks know more details at the upcoming FOSDEM
conference, so until then stay tuned for more details. Please bear in
mind, though, that not all organizations that participated in GSoC
2008 will be returning for 2009.  Take time now to explore your
interests and scratch your own itch - that is what Open Source is all
about!

Cheers,
LH

--