[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Flash at Sugar Labs

Rob Savoye rob at omnow.org
Mon Jan 5 10:30:52 EST 2009

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> IMHO that activity should be a wrapper for Gnash, perhaps as a native
> GTK+ application, without the browser baggage (maybe such a stand-alone
> player does exist already?). Since the content is authored specifically

 As Gnash was created originally as the UI layer for a stereo, it's
always run standalone. I only made an additional plugin since most
people are used to only running flash in their browser.

> for Sugar (and in Nepal's case even more specifically for Sugar on the
> OLPC XO-1) it can easily be tuned to work well in Gnash. Hopefully
> Gnash's current limitations are well documented so authors can avoid
> pitfalls. That "sugarized SWF player" could even be extended to
> integrate nicely with the Journal (being able to do that is the point of
> having a free implementation after all) - there is no need to be
> compatible with Adobe's Flash player.

  Exactly. If the people creating he content work with us a little, and
test with Gnash, the flash content will always work fine. You don't need
any of the features of the latest flash anyway. At the same time, we
need to figure out how to keep up to data builds for Sugar, as much of
the problem has been old versions of Gnash.

	- rob -