[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Flash at Sugar Labs

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Jan 5 12:07:38 EST 2009

Wade Brainerd wrote:
> I think the template should be built into and supported by the Sugar
> dev team, rather than something that has to be copied around.

I strongly disagree.  We should send the clearest possible message that
SWF, a language with no good free spec and no good free interpreter, is
not recommended, even if it is supported.  Software Freedom is a key part
of the Sugar labs mission, both officially and in fact.

> A nice additional feature would be to make use of Jordan's screen
> resolution dropper on the XO to allow Flash activities to run at
> 600x450, which would likely quadruple performance.

We can do even better.
http://wiki.gnashdev.org/Release_0.8.5#Release_Goals shows XVideo scaling
support as one of the goals for the next Gnash, due in a month.

--Ben