[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Education on the XO

Albert Cahalan acahalan at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 23:49:22 EST 2009

David Van Assche writes:

> Actually there are a whole bunch of examples I uploaded
> to schools.sugarlabs.org, the problem we have is of how
> to categorise them. ie... do we put them via subject,
> via class, via country, via language?

I can't see anything there. It keeps demanding an account.
I have absolutely no desire for yet another web site account,
especially when Moodle will supposedly shove constructivist
bullshit down my throat.

Why can't I just browse?

> If there are any course content creators out there, I'd love
> to hear their ideas, and if they need help with creating courses
> on the schools.sugarlabs.org site, I believe I can help.

Perhaps we can find some way to work together.

In about 10 months I taught a kid about 10 years of normal honors
math. Along the way I saved all the worksheets that I made for him.
He's now beyond that, being well into my old college calculus textbook.
At the start he was only doing single-digit addition and subtraction.
Nope, it's not constructivist. It actually works.

I was careful to mark the worksheets that were not my own work.
I think that far less than 10% of the worksheets are thus not free
to be used in some other project. The free worksheets could be used
as the majority of practice problems for a set of free math books.

It's currently on graph paper, 10 lines to the inch. I don't have a
scanner for it, though maybe my 3016x2008 camera (should do 200 dpi)
would be workable. (really slow though -- I have hundreds of pages)
Conversion would involve dealing with plenty of line art. I'm not
likely to have much time for any of this, but it sure seems wasteful
to let the problems just gather dust. Perhaps success is more about
the teaching method and continuous effort though, in which case the
worksheets are less useful.

BTW, when faced with teachers that are missing or useless, something
closer to the Robinson Curriculum would be appropriate. Be sure to
note how the subject ordering avoids premature and ineffective study.