[Sugar-devel] Teaching typing and basic math on the XO (was: Re: [IAEP] How to Make Activity Designers Happy , Parts I and II)

Wade Brainerd wadetb at gmail.com
Sun Jan 4 22:13:51 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 1:49 AM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to get hold of Omar Khayyam Moore's Edison Talking
> Typewriter program and rewrite it in a modern programming language. It
> ran on an IBM 360 and taught three-year-olds to read and write on a
> Selectric terminal with very little human intervention required.

My PyGTK port of Ben Sittler's Yay Bee See! could be adapted to mimic the
ETT.

- After the student has pressed some keys and gets used to the feedback of
seeing the letter and pictures, show a random picture and "disable" the
keyboard except for the corresponding key, just like ETT.
- Add a sound effect for each picture / letter combo, just like the ETT.
This is something Ben and I discussed which would not be hard to do.  It's
mostly a matter of collecting the media.
- You could add a constructivist twist by letting the student paste in a new
picture and/or sound for each letter, perhaps from Record (see Walter's
Typing Turtle suggestion).  The collection would be saved to the Journal.

Feel like dusting off your Python skills?

git://dev.laptop.org/users/wadeb/yay-bee-see

-Wade