[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Sugar Digest 2008-12-29

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 21:45:49 EST 2009

In addition to the essential ideas discussed below, we need to have a
discussion of skill, and the appropriate kinds of practice for
achieving it. We have ample proof that reading cannot be taught simply
as a classroom subject. Those who catch the reading bug, and read all
sorts of things that no teacher assigns, will be our best readers, and
in many cases our best writers. But we also need to practice the arts
of speaking and listening. We know that keyboarding is a skill where
drill is of value. We know that daily practice is essential for
developing musical skill (except in some cases of prodigies and
savants). We know that the best way to become fluent in a language is
to have people to talk with, so that the skills become habit rather
than knowledge. We know that calculation of various kinds can benefit
from drill.

But we cannot suppose that doing every possible drill in the best
possible way constitutes an education.

Also, when we speak of critical thinking, we need to introduce the
appropriate standards, and teach our students how to adhere to them,
and how to tell when somebody is failing to do that: logic and proof
in mathematics, the scientific method, rules of evidence in law, and
many others, to begin with, but also the deeper questions, how those
got to be the rules, and whether we can make further progress. The art
and logic of discovery, which is quite different from proof. Effective
methods of collaboration. And so on.

Earth Treasury and its partners propose to re-invent the textbook for
the one-to-one age, making use of all of these powerful ideas,
together with our current moderately powerful hardware and wonderful
but still preliminary software. We invite participation, discussion,
and criticism.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Creating_textbooks

And Children are my nation.