[Sugar-devel] How to authenticate with the Schoolserver on non XO hardware was: (Re: Auto-authentication for Browse)

Hamilton Chua hamilton.chua at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 07:30:40 EST 2009

Hello Simon,

Nice chatting with you on IRC and thanks for the reply !

I was looking at the XS code, in particular the Identity Manager Service
which is responsible for receiving the request.

I believe the code is in /usr/bin/registration-server on a school server.

I noticed that the check for the serial and uuid is not strict, hence, we
could probably fake registration by modifying schoolserver.py to not check
for an ofw directory and to generate a fake serial/uuid combination.

That's probably a crude way to go about it and I wonder if there's a more
elegant solution.

I remember reading somewhere here about integration with Moodle and OpenID.
Is the registration code a good place to make this possible ?

Thanks again.

Best,

Hamilton