[Sugar-devel] How to authenticate with the Schoolserver on non XO hardware was: (Re: Auto-authentication for Browse)

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Thu Feb 26 07:06:27 EST 2009

Hi Hamilton,

Chua wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> My name is Hamilton Chua and I am new to these lists and even newer to sugar
> development and the olpc in general so please do forgive me if the questions
> I am about to ask have been asked and answered before.
>
> I am using a development snapshot of Sugar on a Stick (SoaS) and XS (0.5.1)
> on Virtualbox 2.1.4.
>
> So here are my questions :
>
> 1) It seems registration does not work on SoaS because it lacks the info
> that you normally have on an OLPC laptop in order to successfully register
> with an XS server. I would like to ask what the significance, if any, of
> registration. In the snapshot I have, it seems that I can set the jabber
> server on the control panel and it seemed that I was all set.

Yes, the registration is currently dependent on the SN and the uuid of
the XO.

http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar/repos/mainline/blobs/master/src/jarabe/desktop/schoolserver.py

> 2) For the XS Cookie (Plan C here) to work,  do I need to register sugar
> with an XS server ?

Yes, that is how it is currently implemented.

> 3) Are there plans to make registration work for Sugar installed on hardware
> other than an OLPC ?

Martin, are there any plans yet on how to make the services of a school
server available to non XO hardware?

Thanks,
    Simon