[Sugar-devel] Future of Rainbow + Sugar?

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Tue Feb 24 12:09:35 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 05:41:09PM +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:24:37AM -0500, Michael Stone wrote:
>

>> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2008-December/010528.html
> Thanks for your work!  I sure hope it'll get used instead of dropped,
> it's the #1 reason I looked into Sugar in the first place and the one
> thing I miss most on regular "desktops" (I'm sometimes using vnc running
> under different UIDs for the same purpose).

Sascha,

Thanks very much for the kind reply; it's really helpful to hear that someone
thinks this work is worth pursuing.

> What exactly do I need to do to try it out within sugar-jhbuild on
> Ubuntu intrepid (amd64)?

Never having used sugar-jhbuild, it's hard for me to say precisely. My guess is
that you should teach jhbuild to compile and install rainbow, then apply my
patches to sugar (rebasing if needed, since they're now two months stale):

   http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/mstone/sugar-toolkit
   http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/mstone/sugar

then see what breaks. (Which might be everything, since, as I said, rainbow has
never been tested w/ jhbuild.)

In the mean-time, let's start updating http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Rainbow with
what you learn so that it becomes easier for others to assist.

Michael

P.S. - Let me know where more help is needed and I'll be happy to try to get
you unstuck.