[Sugar-devel] Permissions to upload honey sources

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Feb 24 03:21:57 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 06:34, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Just got a shell account on sunjammer (thanks Bernie!), and was hoping
> to upload the source of Moon-9 so that it appears in the (as I
> understand) official place for distros to go looking for honey:
>
>        http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/honey/
>
> Now... the below wiki page lists /pub/sugarlabs/sources/honey as the
> pace to make a directory and upload to:
>
>        http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/Activities_packaging
>
> ... but /pub/sugarlabs/sources/honey doesn't seem to exist on
> sunjammer, though I did find /upload/sources/honey/ which seems to be
> the correct path as it has the other 4 listed honey sources living
> there (/var/www/sugarlabs/download/sources/honey/ is also another
> possibility).
>
> Unfortunately I don't seem to have permission to create a directory
> there. /upload/sources/honey is owned by marcopg, group sugarlabs; the
> other 4 directories in there were created by alsroot, group sugarlabs.

Created a Moon directory. I don't know if activity authors should be
in the sugarlabs or not, sorry :/

> I'm guessing on the face of it I'd need to be in the sugarlabs group,
> **but** this doesn't seem like a good situation given that honey is
> for "activity sources developed out there in the wild", that could
> turn into a whole stinging bee hive of admin and excessive shell
> access...
>
> Any (scalable) hints much appreciated!

A scalable way would be to use activities.sugarlabs.org for that. I'm
not sure what's the current thinking in Mozilla and distros about
packaging addons in distros, but if there's any chance they want to
support source tarballs, we'll get that support for free.

Regards,

Tomeu