[Sugar-devel] User Interface Anoyances and Bugs in the latest Sugar On A Stick build dated 23 of February, 2009

Eduardo H. Silva hoboprimate at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 08:41:43 EST 2009

Tomeu assured me that I wouldn-t be creating noise in the mailing list
if I sent you these nitpicks, some small, some large, some recent,
some old, so here goes my todays list of:

 User Interface Anoyances and  Bugs in the latest Sugar On A Stick
build dated 23 of February, 2009:

              1 - In Read, the zoom to width icon resembles more a
zoom to fit, i.e.,
zoom out sufficiently so that the document corners are visible inside
the magnifying glass, i.e., show the entire document inside the
magnifying glass. Either change the icon or the default action (I
prefer the later option).
               2 - After clicking a toolbar icon (tested in Read), you
cant reveal its
palette unless you exit and reenter the icon with the cursor.
               3 - Clicking on a video at archive.org, downloads the
ogg video, instead
of streaming. What should be the default? The right-click palette
(that allows one to download a link) is not as discoverable as the
rest of the UI.
               4 - The right-click palette of weblinks say #copy#, but
copy what? I can
figure it-s about copying the url, but will a kid know. It should be
spelled out as #copy link#
               5 - Right-click palettes in Browse don-t disappear
unless you choose one
of its options. They should work like other palettes in the UI,
disappear after a bit when you exit the cursor away from it.
               6 - The right-click palette are totally undiscoverable
because they need
an explicit right-click action to appear. I vote to test having it
appear on hover, with a bigger delay than normal palettes and see if
the feedback is really that bad as you expect it to be (i.e., that
navigating webpages full of images and links will make palettes appear
everywhere. Fix number 5, and increase the timer on it appearing on
hover, and it wont be bad, I think).

            7 - The text size of some Text boxes and options are too small in
contrast with the rest of the UI. Some automatic adjustment should be
made between the screen resolution and the font size.
             8 - When clicking a link in GMail, the page doesnt load
unless you click Stop and Reload it.