[Sugar-devel] Sugar now has smoke test procedures.

Marco Pesenti Gritti marcopg at sugarlabs.org
Sun Feb 22 06:51:43 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 8:15 AM, Mel Chua <mel at melchua.com> wrote:
> Because of the impending 0.84 release and the need to have a simple
> answer to the question "does build X work?" Colin, Elsa, and I came up
> with http://sugarlabs.org/go/Smoke_test. It is meant to be a <20min
> "does this build work?" test for developers. It can also be used to
> verify that your new development/testing environment has set up
> correctly, or as a quick (but boring) intro to Sugar's basic functionality.

Woooow, this is fantastic, thanks Colin, Elsa and Mel! Yay Olin :)

> Needed:
>
> * a link to good 0.84 installation/setup instructions (step-by-step
> "here's how to set up to test our latest build" directions) - can
> someone point us in the direction of whatever is considered canonical
> for this release?

We have instructions for SoaS. The whole page could use some cleanups.
In particular we should not mix different distributions in the same
page imo and we should expand the linux section. But it's a start.

http://sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick#Fedora_based_Sugar_on_a_Stick

In general I suggest that we don't settle on a *single* canonical
distributions but we list all the distributions that matches certain
criteria. For example: ship a very recent Sugar version, are
reasonably easy and documented to install, are in a good enough state
to be tested by non-developers. In practice SoaS is probably the only
one that matches them at the moment, hopefully that will change soon.

Marco