[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] resume by default

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Thu Feb 19 10:40:15 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 16:22, Luke Faraone <luke at faraone.cc> wrote:
> On 2/19/09, Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> as you may know, we recently added a change to the favorites view that
>> makes easier to resume existing instances instead of always launching
>> new ones.
>>
>> This option is disabled by default and users need to go to a palette
>> and guess what that checkbox serves for.
>>
>> We added that option because the feature was experimental, but now
>> some feel it may be appropriate to make it the only option, because if
>> not the naming alert gets quite annoying in some cases.
>>
>> So, who agrees and who disagrees with changing the favorite view to
>> resume activities by default?
>
> I personally think the change should be made, but after this release;
> it is too late in development for such major behavioral changes.

Well, not many people have seen the new UI because we don't have yet
an easy way for people to try it out. Also, from the few people that
have actually tested it, we have received complaints because the
naming alert that appears when closing a new activity is annoying if
by default people are always starting new instances.

Also, if every UI change takes two releases to get into effect, we are
going to slow a lot the rate at which we fix the bigger holes in our
user experience.

Regards,

Tomeu