[Sugar-devel] Have a discard option in the "name a fresh instance" dialog

Eben Eliason eben.eliason at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 07:24:50 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 1:30 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
> Gary C Martin wrote:
>>
>> On 18 Feb 2009, at 20:31, Wade Brainerd wrote:
>>
>>> As I understood it, the ability to "Not Keep" was an important part  of
>>> this design, but I haven't seen the implementation yet.
>>>
>>> Is it not there, or maybe just not immediately discoverable?
>>>
>>> I too think it would be wonderful to have a Don't Keep button right
>>>  there.
>>
>> I'd like to see a 'don't keep' as well, but I think it's a bunch more
>>  complicated in the current data-store implementation. Activities get
>>  Journal entries created as you switch away from them, and perhaps some
>>  other cases (sleep?), so a 'don't keep' button would need to actively
>>  DELETE journal entries that may have been created before the activity  was
>> first stopped.
>>
>> Just wanted to raise the implementation issues, but I would like a  'don't
>> keep' if it didn't burn too much core dev time, though I accept  this may be
>> due to my particular current Sugar usage pattern.
>>
>> --Gary
>
> Right, so there is an issue implementation wise. Also the discard button
> should probably be in the activity toolbar.

I don't think it should be that prominent.  It's something that's only
valid (as I see it) the first time an activity instance is stopped.
If we want to expose it pre-dialog, we could add a "stop without
keeping" option in the secondary palette of the stop button, when
appropriate.

> One good news is that with the option to 'resume by default' we actually
> don't create that many entries anymore.
>
> Can we say that the discard option is a general addition but does not stop
> us from landing the current implementation of the Naming Alert?

Agreed.  These are two distinct goals of the UI.  Naming is the
primary goal, and independently useful!

- Eben