[Sugar-devel] Newbie Developer - Where's the best place to start?

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Feb 18 14:15:33 EST 2009

Hi Tom,

Welcome, glad you could make it to the party! :-)

On 18 Feb 2009, at 18:56, Tom Ziegmann wrote:

> I'm a newbie developer to the Sugar / OLPC projects, and I was
> wondering where the best place to start would be? I'm primarily
> interested in developing activities for the Sugar, and as I
> understand it, those are coded in Python. I've been using Linux for
> awhile now, so I'm fairly confident there, and I've used the sugar-
> jhbuild directions and have successfuly built / setup the Sugar
> emulator on my Ubuntu 8.10 machine. Are there any tools that are
> recommended?

If your new to Python, this was always my favourite:

	http://www.python.org/doc/2.5.1/tut/tut.html

For Activities, have a look at:

	http://sugarlabs.org/go/ActivityTeam

I particularly like the Sugar Almanac (great if you're the type that
likes to see simple code snippets on how to get things to work and see
what's possible). For me, I found the best way to get going was just
poking at the source of existing activities, and using pydoc (try
pydoc -p 8080 and using a web browser to navigate the docs).

--Gary