[Sugar-devel] buildbot failure in Sugar Labs Buildbot on log-activity-Fedora10

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org
Tue Feb 17 10:03:00 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:12:00AM +1800, David Farning wrote:

> Sascha, please note this is a common problem with open source
> projects.  If you show competency, you are at risk of being asked to
> assume authority and responsibility for something:)
Well, can't say I didn't see it coming. :)
I'd be happy (and honored) to do some fixes on my own. What I can't do
is making any (time) committments, though. I might be putting several
hours of work into Sugar today and be gone for several months tomorrow.

> ...and a good introduction to the infrastructure team.
> And let's face it, the various Sugar Labs services are starting to get
> on the order or 1000's of hits per day.  That doesn't look bad on a
> resume.
System administration is a cursed job. People only see what's going
wrong, not what you need to do to keep it running. Been there, done
that, even got a t-shirt. :)
But it is a sure way of getting to learn the depths of a computer
system. :)

My main interest in Sugar currently is building a computer system that's
usable for "regular" people, especially older ones. That means getting
it to run, improving it (esp. data store / "Journal"), writing
activities. But since all that depends on having a working
infrastructure, I might help out there, too. After all, my original
business idea was about providing computer systems and all their
dependencies as "infrastructure", so can't claim I don't care about it.
But my time is limited, so I need to choose carefully where it's spent
best.

CU Sascha

--
http://sascha.silbe.org/