[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] activites known not to either work at all or not on certin platforms

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Feb 17 04:58:52 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 04:57, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Wade Brainerd <wadetb at gmail.com> wrote:
>> First of all, IMO the *only* stable Sugar OS is OLPC XO Software 8.2.0
>> running on XO or emulator.  As far as I know, none of the other
>> distributions has caught up in terms of activity support.
>
> FWIW, I am keeping an eye on this, hoping that a second Sugar platform
> emerges. The questions in the back of my mind are:
>
>  - What are you guys running / developing on?

I'm using sugar-jhbuild in Ubuntu Intrepid.

>  - What are you guys testing?

Very little :/

>  - Are any SL'ers dogfooding 100% of their computer time? (as now
> Sugar is closer to Just Working on conventional laptops) On what
> platform?

Not yet, and seems that it won't happen soon, given that all available
resources are going to stuff that is needed by young children and that
might not improve general usability/efficiency. Hope it will change,
not sure when.

> Wearing my XSA hat, I want to get my hands on that second Sugar
> platform and test interop with the XS.
>
> Wearing my "wellington volunteer tester" hat, I want to know if
> there's a non OLPCXO OS we should be targetting.

I would say to test whatever is going to be deployed. And we know that
Sugar won't be deployed only on XOs because most Sugar deployments
won't be able to get those machines. At a first, seems like SoaS is
the Sugar distro that is better positioned to get deployed in the near
future.

HTH,

Tomeu