[Sugar-devel] 'Resume activity' is confusing for user

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Sun Feb 15 09:07:26 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Mikus Grinbergs <mikus at bga.com> wrote:
> I've been very enthusiastic about the OLPC as a way to bring
> technological assistance to people without reliable electricity or
> on-line servers or much disposable income or even roads.  To me, the
> combination of rugged low-power (with current Joyride) hardware and
> ease-of-learning software (original Activities) hit a "sweet spot".
>
>> Here's the rub... Joyride is dead (though for an XO user it's still
>> about the easiest/smoothest way to play with the new sugar toys). It
>> got a Sugar code update back in 2631, making it to sugar 0.83.3 from
>> what I can tell (~19 Jan 2009);  but there're just not enough hands
>> on deck to keep that plate spinning.
>
> Time for me to seriously consider "signing off".
>
> mikus

Mikus,

I sincerely hope that you continue to contribute to the olpc (Lower
Case) project.  Either through OLPC, Sugar Labs, or one or the
deployments support organization that are forming.

The past months have been hard.  The next months will be filled with
uncertainty.

In the olpc ecosystem we still have several hardware vendors,
including OLPC.  We have a healthy and growing Sugar development
community.  Several major Linux distributions are packaging Sugar.
Organizations are forming to help support and encourage local
deployments.

While the OLPC foundation may be changing focus, the olpc community is
still strong.

The hardest part of the changes (and I say this will full knowledge
that I was and continue to be the strongest proponent for these
changes) has been our shift in emphasis on possibilities, hopes, and
dreams for the intersection of technology and education to what can we
do today, next week, and next year to make a difference.

If we continue to do this right, Sugar Labs will become the firm
foundation on top of which we, and others, can dream and build on the
limitless possibilities which emerging technology offers to education.

thanks
david