[Sugar-devel] XFT emacs rocks on the XO...

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed Feb 11 10:52:22 EST 2009

On 11 Feb 2009, at 05:59, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> Stock F9 emacs isn't very usable on the XO screen, unfortunately. Lack
> of fonts and high dpi make it rather painful. After struggling a bit
> to get a comfy hacking/editing environment on my XOs, I ended up
> installing the precooked Xft-enabled emacs rpms, as per:
>
>    http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Emacs
>
> and after setting a nice readable font... I'm very happy with the
> setup.
>
> Also, the XO ships with a very limited vim. yum install vim-enhanced
> has improved my part-time vim usage.

Yea, sudo yum install of vim, git, pylint, and nethack ;-) are about
the first things I do after a clean flash of an XO I plan to develop
code on.

--Gary

P.S. For the record vim is 22Mb (most of which is perl), git is 3.8Mb
(shares some of the aforementioned perl), pylint is 5Mb (almost all of
that is mx), and nethack is just 1.3Mb (press ? for help).