[Sugar-devel] csound or olpcsound (was Re: hello and how can I Join?)

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Wed Feb 11 10:32:29 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 02:37:17PM +0000, victor wrote:
>> Actually, your expertise would be needed to get the csound packages
>> into the distributions. Currently we have the standard Csound package
>> [1] and the olpcsound [2] package in Fedora. We should decide which
>> package we should move forward.
>>
>> [1] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=76556
>> [2] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=77007
>>

>Good, I am glad to dive in straightaway. This is my opinion:
>
>Csound-5.03 [1] is very old, there is actually a csound-5.07,
>which is much newer. Olpcsound[2] is based on 5.08, the
>last 'stable' version of  libcsound-5.1.
>
>The difference between the two packages is that olpcsound is
>cut-down and adapted to the requirements of OLPC/XO. Now
>these might not be the same requirements of sugar (as a platform
>independent OS), but is smaller and lighter. It does not have any
>of the CPU intensive DSP code fro spectral processing etc.

Interesting. I was unaware of that optimization issue.

Would it perhaps make sense for Distributions to generically offer
multiple variants of the csound libraries, with and without
CPU-intensive processing?

If so, the best approach is to improve upstream CSound build routines to
compile these library variants, differently named so they can be
installed concurrently, rather than packagers needing to compile
everything multiple times and provide conflicting packages.

As a much simpler alternative, if you could isolate the patches and/or
compile flags needed for XO-friendly builds, then packagers could add
them, either just commented out or enabled through some environment
flag, for easy package rebuilding by (sub)distros aiming specifically at
low-end hardware.

(Your discussion seems Fedora/Redhat-centric to me.  Tell me if I should
simply keep silent with these more general comments)

  - Jonas

- --