[Sugar-devel] Minimal steps to start hacking on Browse.xo?

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Tue Feb 10 04:42:34 EST 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 02:28, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I found the git repo for Browse xo! Hurray! (finding things in github
> is hard work, or perhaps I managed to find the hardest path to it).

Gitorious, not github, but do you have any suggestion?

> Not being a Sugar dev, I want to do some light hacking on Browse.xo
> but I don't have a Sugar environment prepared to hack on it. How can I
> get going with minimum steps...?

If you want that activity to run on 8.2 and are comfortable hacking on
the XO, then you have started well.

> So far, what I've tried to do...
>
>  1 - grab an XO with 8.2

Keep in mind that Browse depends on hulahop, that is the component
used to embed mozilla. If since the 8.2 times an API change happened,
you may want to hack on HEAD (having installed 0.83.x) and afterwards
backport to the sucrose-0.82 branch. Then build bundles from each of
those branches.

>  2 - yum install git
>
>  3 - git clone git://git.sugarlabs.org/browse/mainline.git
>        mv mainline.git browse.git
>       (btw, shoud this be called browse.git, or browse-mainline.git?)

I would call it 'browse'.

>  4 - run it from the checkout... how?

Just link to it from ~/Activities and it should work.

HTH,

Tomeu