[Sugar-devel] Getting sugar-jhbuild run working

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Mon Feb 9 15:34:19 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 09:03:59PM +0100, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 09, 2009 at 08:29:50PM +0100, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>
>>> According to that document it seems like LD_LIBRARY_PATH should
>>> override rpath anyway...
>> I am no expert in this - just happened to know that resource - both
>> to understand rpath mechanism and problems better, and referring to
>> ways to deal with it: chrpath is mentioned as a tool to use in
>> install target at package build time, but it can be used by the local
>> admin too (if it breaks then just reinstall the related package!).
> It seems like the document is incorrect and rpath takes preference:
> Using chrpath, I've verified that python-gconf has RPATH=/usr/lib.
> strace shows the order (for ldd) is /usr/lib/tls/x86_64, /usr/lib/tls,
> /usr/lib/x86_64, /usr/lib.

Do you mean that even if the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH is
defined, it gets overridden by hardcoded rpath?

Or only that default lookup paths like /lib and /usr/lib gets overridden
by rpath value (when LD_LIBRARY_PATH is *not* defined)?

If it is the first, then please update the Debian wiki page, and also
drop a note about it to jurij at debian.org (I see that he is not
subscribed to updates to that wiki page).

> BTW: Libraries in sugar-jhbuild seem to set rpath, too - at least
> libevince.so does have RPATH=/home/sugar/sugar-jhbuild/install/lib64.

As I understand it, rpath has its sane uses, it is not a complete evil.
Only for packaging as part of Debian (and derivatives) is it a
definitive no-no.

Also, if I understand it correctly, the issue here is only with Ubuntu
libraries being compiled with rpath - local jhbuild-compiled binaries
should not cause trouble if having rpath (unless, of course, the rpath
is wrong, but that is another issue altogether).

  - Jonas

P.S.

Please do not cc me: I am subscribed to the list.

- --