[Sugar-devel] A small request.

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Mon Feb 2 23:10:36 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 3:46 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
>> "Only works with HTTP" -- that's why were are careful to make our
>> protocols only use HTTP.
>
> Several of our protocols are http based, but not all.

Please be specific.

> What I am stating is that for almost all protocols we need a service
> announcement scheme to do smart things locally. For HTTP, in _some_
> cases, we can pull tricks, but that's not a sustainable approach.

It's hard to argue with this unless you actually provide examples.

>> It's not a cheat sheet: it's a list of cached content.  If your
>> activities are coming from lots of different sources, then your update
>> URLs will be different.  What's wrong with that?
>
> In some cases we cannot guess the URLs, as I described a couple of emails ago.

You failed to convince me.  How can a school provide activities
without knowing their update URLs?  How is that hard to do?  I
certainly don't have to tell my existing wwwoffle cache that (for
example) what pages I read daily.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )