[Sugar-devel] A small request.

Ties Stuij cjstuij at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 08:56:19 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:23 AM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So this depends on a simple service-announcement scheme. I'll sidestep
>> the how of it, and say:
>>
>> When Sugar knows that there is a local "activity install/update"
>> server, then the activity updater it _must_ try against the local
>> service first.
>
> I still believe the proper way to do this is to have a local offline
> cache.  The protocol was explicitly designed to be easily cacheable.
>
> But it probably wouldn't be hard to add an "override URL" to the
> current lookup routine, which is always checked first.  You'd have to
> add the activity id somehow to generate the full url.  You could set a
> the override URL in the sugar configuration.  I don't think this is
> "the right thing" (why are we still having trouble getting caching
> working right?) but (as Michael suggested in the initial mail on this
> thread) I'm perfectly happy supporting "more than one way to do it" if
> someone thinks this will help a specific deployment.
>  --scott

Huh? Well it depends on what you guys want to accomplish I guess, and
C. Scott wrote the code I believe, but as I understand it, this
functionality is already present. In any case if you supply an
/etc/olpc-update/activitiy-groups file pointing to your local
schoolserver, it will override the default url and update without any
qualms. I just tested this just to be sure, without
internet-connection, and it went swimmingly.

As for the url supplied by the activity itself, It's my opinion that
it shouldn't be used at all. As per my entry in the activity update
thread.

/Ties