[Sugar-devel] Service announcement scheme - (Re: A small request.)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 01:15:34 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 6:39 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> My suggestions:  DNS-SD and libepc (http://live.gnome.org/libepc/).
> There's no need for Sugar-specific solutions here; we just need to use
> existing standard solutions.

Yep - I want existing standard stuff, but the devil we know seems to
swamp the spectrum with 802.11s.

Googling leads to a paper that could be useful. I don't have access -
but they seem to claim that they can get DNS-SD to _not_ mess the mesh
up with some new technique requiring new and adventurous patches
affecting the mesh routing nodes:

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/Xplore/login.jsp?url=/iel5/4489030/4489031/04489571.pdf?temp=x

I don't want adventure. I want something old and safe ;-)

Maybe we can fake this with good old DNS lookups - but those will fail
if the DNS server has a wildcard (like commercial hotspots do).

DNS lookup + http check? Why do the ugliest solutions end up being the
ones that work in the field?

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions