[Sugar-devel] A small request.

C. Scott Ananian cscott at laptop.org
Mon Feb 2 00:38:14 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 9:24 PM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> So this depends on a simple service-announcement scheme. I'll sidestep
> the how of it, and say:
>
> When Sugar knows that there is a local "activity install/update"
> server, then the activity updater it _must_ try against the local
> service first.

I still believe the proper way to do this is to have a local offline
cache.  The protocol was explicitly designed to be easily cacheable.

But it probably wouldn't be hard to add an "override URL" to the
current lookup routine, which is always checked first.  You'd have to
add the activity id somehow to generate the full url.  You could set a
the override URL in the sugar configuration.  I don't think this is
"the right thing" (why are we still having trouble getting caching
working right?) but (as Michael suggested in the initial mail on this
thread) I'm perfectly happy supporting "more than one way to do it" if
someone thinks this will help a specific deployment.
 --scott

--
                         ( http://cscott.net/ )