[Sugar-devel] A small request.

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 21:24:35 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 1:47 PM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> offer some advice.  Using an explicit update_url field in the activity
> is recommended for activities packaged with the current updater; the
> OLPC wiki default was only ever intended to be a bridge for legacy
> apps, not a recommended practice.

Working on the server side aspects Douglas also found some issues
around the concept of url as handled by the updater. I think that it
boils down to making sure you can special-case things when you are in
a LAN where you know there's an XS offering update services.

So this depends on a simple service-announcement scheme. I'll sidestep
the how of it, and say:

When Sugar knows that there is a local "activity install/update"
server, then the activity updater it _must_ try against the local
service first.

Right now the updater has a pre-set base URL, and each activity can
declare its update URL. A local service must be attempted first for
things to work well in disconnected schools or very badly connected
schools.

> I prefer email for initial
> discussions of updater ideas: 9am isn't a great meeting time for me.

Same for me. Though I know coordinating Europe/US/NZ is impossible, so
happy to take turns in the "midnight meeting" routine, or perhaps
better... email!

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions