[Sugar-devel] Open Animal Crossing project

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 05:05:17 EST 2009

Would anybody here be interested in joining the nascent Open Animal
Crossing project?

http://code.google.com/p/openanimalcrossing/

AC in its four  is one of the few cooperative family games. It has an
oversimplified economy and environment that is appropriate for
teaching many basic concepts, as long as we are prepared to introduce
users to the real things later on. There is a nice balance between
individual and group economic activities within villages and between
them over the Internet. We do not have to slavishly follow the
Nintendo design. For example, we can bring in a much wider range of
cultural influences in player and non-player character graphics,
housing, shops, furniture, clothing, wildlife, and much more.

With an Open game, we can allow students and teachers to create
versions adapted to other local issues, such as health care. In the
commercial versions, the only medication is for bee stings, a hazard
of shaking trees to look for insects or other items of interest.

And Children are my nation.
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/User:Mokurai (Ed Cherlin)