[Sugar-devel] User workflow sharing "Journal Entries" over USB sticks

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Mon Dec 28 18:26:15 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 07:25:21PM +0100, Martin Langhoff wrote:
> Aleksey, List,
>
> Hope everyone is relaxing, enjoying and not reading the list... if you
> are... might be the right time to wake up from the excesses of
> Christmas celebrations :-)
>
> Looks like everyone forgot about these patches of mine. I've now
> posted them as http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/1636 -- the patches
> haven't changed but the "r?" might draw some attention.
>
> My old post below is still very relevant, and my notes after it, plus
> a request for help.
>
> On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 9:59 PM, Martin Langhoff
> <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  I have 4 patches that fix this up so that we DTRT - attached in
> > http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9657
> >
> >    * 0001-Removable-disk-Save-metadata-and-preview-dlo-9657.patch
> >    * 0002-Removable-disk-read-json-formatted-.metadata-and-.pr.patch
> >    * 0003-Removable-disk-Handle-renames-dlo-9657.patch
> >    * 0004-Removable-disk-delete-preview-and-metadata-dlo-9657.patch
> >
> > With this
> >
> >    * We save the files with their correct metadata
> >    * Read the metadata back, display it, copy it correctly into the
> > DS, and search descriptions/tags if the user runs a search
> >    * Renames and removes are handled correctly on-disk
> > (metadata/preview files are renamed or removed
>
> The above approach stems from long discussion in this same thread. If
> your email proggy doesn't do threads nicely, see
> http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2009-November/thread.html#20729
>
> These patches fix the problem in the core code. There are two UI
> glitches, and I am needing help in sorting them out, 'cause I don't
> understand the OO-ish approach used in Journal UI. See below:
>
> > The results are not perfect, as we have UI glitches -- on delete the
> > file listing doesn't remove the file 'collapsedentry';

I've uploaded patch with minor fixes and delete fix
(b0113bf67c31dbeaa08cf0f1710c1be8d02a9b25 should be cherry-picked)

>> on rename, the
> > new name is shown until you touch the scrollbar, there it reverts to
> > the old name.

to last sucrose-0.84, was backported 0.86 patch
(f93c9de3ff6b7d7f1730c5056b0b4fae9f00a201) which prevents any
editing of non-ds object, so we need to decide should we rollback this
patch at first otherwise we need to remove redundant rename related
code from #1636 patch

> > To fix those UI glitches we need to issue a message to the
> > InplaceResultSet instance somehow... except that we don't have a
> > handle to it. I also attempted to do something like
> > http://git.sugarlabs.org/projects/sugar/repos/mainline/commits/b0113bf67c31dbeaa08cf0f1710c1be8d02a9b25
> > which sure looks right, but didn't work for me.
> >
> > Triggering these actions from the UI widget objects makes it all
> > overly confusing to a newcomer like me. The ocassional dbus message
> > makes it even more entertaining.
> >
> > In any case, the patches bring the backend behaviour to correctness.
> > With some help we can also address the UI glitches (or punt and deal
> > with them with later).
>
> and the patches will be soon followed by other patches that allow 0.84
> read from 0.82-written USB disks, so that teachers that have saved
> their files on a USB stick before upgrade can use them.
>
> cheers,

>  martin.langhoff at gmail.com
>  martin at laptop.org -- School Server Architect
>  - ask interesting questions