[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] [DESIGN] Frame Panels

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Mon Dec 14 13:40:53 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 03:47:23PM -0200, Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 03:42, Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > At the end Journal Plugins mutated to Frame Panles feature.
> > All UI visible changes I wanted to implement in plugins could be done
> > via Frame Panle components(the rest of code are shell agnostic).
>
> I'm having trouble guessing which needs addresses this change. Does
> this idea come from any need expressed by our users?

oh sorry, I denied my feature..

and user who asked for such feature was me
the idea was instead of having modular Journal(former name for this feature
was, Journal Plugins) I thought that having ala GNOME panels let 3rd
party developers integrate theirs activities to shell UI e.g. replacing
Journal by replacing Journal icon/in-this-proposal,-panel-component by
launcher that starts their activity.

But now, I think it(e.g. such Journal customizing) could be done by
forking Journal itself i.e. w/o adding complexity like plugins or ala
GNOME panels and sharing this fork via 0install.

--
Aleksey