[Sugar-devel] sounds in Speak

Gary C Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Mon Dec 14 10:54:11 EST 2009

On 14 Dec 2009, at 15:30, Aleksey Lim wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 05:48:39PM -0700, Sameer Verma wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> This afternoon, I had an interesting conversation with a Montessori teacher,
>> about Speak. She asked me why Speak says "a" when "a" is pressed and not the
>> *sound* of the letter "a". Montessori teachers teach the shape and sound of
>> letters first, and then the name of the alphabet. I did not have an answer
>> for her, but I wondered if it would be possible to have an option in Speak
>> to do so.
>
> not sure it could be done in existed Speak(it just passes string to
> speak engine). But it could separate activity or mode in Speak which
> teaches alphabet.

FWIW: I had a go at this quite a while back. At the time, on an XO-1, I found the latency was much to high for even quite slow typing. The sound was delayed arriving, often stuttered, and typing became quite difficult due to the poor responsiveness. Not sure anything has really changed since I last tried.

Regards,
--Gary