[Sugar-devel] [Feature] activity.info enhancements

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Dec 11 20:20:49 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:43:56PM -0500, Walter Bender wrote:
>RPMs and DEBs if there were additional information available in the
>activity.info file.
>
>Details: In walking the process of creating an RPM of one of my
>activities with Sebastian Dziallas, who is doing lots of packaging for
>Fedora and SoaS, we observed that many fields in packages' .spec files
>could readily be pulled from the activity.info file. A few additional
>fields would be necessary, such as the following:
>
>    * a short summary
>    * an URL to the source package
>    * an URL to the activity home page
>    * the required dependencies to run

I would use such hints only as inspiration for Debian packaging, not
rely on it.

The reason for this is that I would not expect upstream software authors
to know all the nitty gritty details of policies governing Debian
packaging - e.g. how we name the dependencies.  Even if they did know
better than me I still would need to double-check, as ultimately I am
responsible for the quality of packaging that I maintain, not upstream.

Since the hints most likely won't be machine-processed (I suspect other
distributors will do as me - it seems irresponsible to me to automate),
I strongly recommend to use the de-facto GNU filenames: INSTALL for
notes relevant only at install time (i.e. both for manual install and
for distributors) and README for hints targeted end-users.

>None of these additional fields need be required, but their inclusion
>would make things easier. (This is not a new idea, but one that seems
>timely given all the upstream interest in Sugar these days.)

I guess you meant _downstream_ interest above.  Distributors are
downstream to Sugarlabs, only GTK+, Python and similar are upstream, and
I suspect that's not the ones gaining interest in Sugar.

Kind regards,

  - Jonas