[Sugar-devel] [FEATURE] Activity as a regular Journal Object request for inclusion to 0.88

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Sat Dec 5 03:45:47 EST 2009

On 11/30/2009 08:54 PM, Daniel Drake wrote:
> 2009/11/30 Walter Bender<walter.bender at gmail.com>:
>> This isn't quite accurate. We've been adding some pre-loaded content
>> to the Journal for quite some time now,
>
> Are you sure? Or are you referring to a manual process that you do in
> certain deployments?
>
> I have yet to see a sugar installation that comes with a non-empty
> journal. And also I can't think of any non-horrible way that you'd be
> able to hook into the sugar profile creation stages to pre-provide the
> content, even if I did like the idea.

So far we have been doing it in Soas with the copy-to-journal script. Of
course it would be nice to have a simple way for a deployer to
pre-install content into the Journal. But this is scope of another
Feature ;p

>> and some activities (as you
>> noted, Turtle Art) have been adding content to the Journal as well.
>
> This is the only one I'm aware of, and it was a big surprise, to the
> extent that I filed bugs upstream and downstream that were confirmed
> by other people who also didn't realise this. I also got the
> impression from you that you don't feel like it is the appropriate
> place to put it, you just did it because it is the only option.

Ok, if you think of the Journal only in the sense of an action view,
having pre-installed content in it can be confusing. That is why the
differentiation of object and action view would make sense, I guess.

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Journal#1
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Journal#2
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Design_Team/Designs/Journal#3

Regards,