[Sugar-devel] Feature Process for Activities was (Re: Sugar Digest 2009-11-30)

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Fri Dec 4 12:17:01 EST 2009

On 12/04/2009 05:07 PM, Gary C Martin wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On 4 Dec 2009, at 11:14, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>
>> On 11/30/2009 10:56 PM, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>>> On 11/30/2009 09:28 PM, Walter Bender wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> Of course I am happy if the Feature Process Framework will be used as
>>> well by the activity team. So far I only thought about the Sucrose
>>> release using the Framework. A process gets to be something useful - the
>>> moment it is used. For the Sucrose release we have been seen use and it
>>> has delivered some value, too.
>>>
>>> Is the activity community interested in using the Framework, too?
>>>
>>> If yes)
>>> There is the part in the wiki, where we describe what is needed to get a
>>> Feature in a a Sucrose release [1]. How would the activity team describe
>>> that part? What is the policy for getting an activity Feature into an
>>> activity release?
>>>
>>> Please discuss here, and/or use the talk page to describe the activity
>>> team policy. We can merge it then in the main page. Direct edits are not
>>> that easy for me to keep a track on.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>      Simon
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Policy#Propose_a_feature_for_addition_into_the_release_cycle
>>
>> I moved the activity feature specific part out from the main policy
>> page. As it was only described for proposing a feature and all the rest
>> of the page was about "how to get a Feature included into a Sucrose
>> release", i found it a bit confusing (activities are not part of Sucrose).
>>
>> As I said, there might be some value for the activity team to use the
>> Feature Framework, too. As the main goal is: "The main goal of the
>> feature policy is to make systematic and predictable the process by
>> which community ideas on how Sugar should evolve get transformed into
>> actionable proposals."
>>
>> However we need to define the process on how to get the Feature into an
>> activity release. I sketched something up here on the talk page:
>>
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Talk:Features/Policy
>>
>> Activity maintainers please comment,
>
> Hmmm, I'm not sure what value is added by trying to formally document this. I understand the need for a strict process in Sucrose as there are many authors working on different components that have to end up forming a whole product. For activities, most have an individual author, or perhaps several interested individuals (forming ad-hoc teams when needed e.g. Asaf, Brian, and myself pooled together to work on the last couple of releases of Physics).

> [...]

Hi Gary,

thanks for the valuable feedback.

I definitely agree, that the Sucrose Feature process can't be translated
1:1 to activities.

However, it would be nice to give at least some guidelines - how to get
from an idea to an actionable proposal. If that is by sending a message
to the mailing list that is fine.

I am mainly worried that not everyone (includes proposers, developers
and maintainers) knows what the way/policy is. And maybe we loose
contributions that way. Having a simple wiki page that list those ways:
"email to the devel-ml with the flag [Activity Feature]..." would be
more than a good start.

More opinions?
    Simon