[Sugar-devel] OLPC updates from ASLO

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Dec 1 02:51:32 EST 2009

2009/12/1 Aleksey Lim <alsroot at member.fsf.org>:
> AFAIK OLPC will use 0.84 release and will lack of native sugar updater
> but it could be useful idea to keep activities repository in one place.

We are using the sugar control panel applet for activity updates as we
have done before.

> So, the question is will html page which lists all ASLO activities in
> microformat enough for OLPC updater.

Having the microformat on ASLO would be great and I never understood
why this wasn't the approach taken in the first place, rather than the
considerable task of adding some strange XML format support to the
updater applet for later versions.

The great thing about the microformat is that not only did it provide
an interface for those of us single-users who have fast internet
connections, it was designed inherently for simplicity, scalability
and replication, and came with a decent amount of documentation of how
you would replicate this on a deployment. The XML thing seems to be
lacking in those areas.

However I think there are 2 additional things that would block moving
the activity group to ASLO:
 1. It's not possible to create a group with specific locked versions,
right? One reason for doing it separately is that we want to control
the flow of activity updates pushed to customers. I'm concerned that
activities are not seeing much QA or testing and regressions are too
easy to come by. I'm also concerned that the amount of testing that
developers do on 0.84 before marking activities as 0.84-compatible
will decrease over the next few months/years.
 2. No content bundle support

Daniel