[Sugar-devel] Friends view UI affordances?

Christoph Derndorfer christoph.derndorfer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 14:02:51 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 9:31 PM, Benjamin M. Schwartz <
bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >
> >> 5. Automatically add anyone with whom you have been collaborating to
> >> the Friends view. (Doesn't quite solve the problem Michael describes,
> >> but it will result in a populated view. And it is easy enough to
> >> delete entries.)
> >

> > Personally I'm very much opposed to doing something like this without the
> > user's explicit consent, especially since this is quickly going to result
> in
> > a very cluttered "friend's view".
>
> I agree... unless we rename it to something like the "Recent Friends"
> view.  It could simply show, say, the 20 people with whom we have most
> recently collaborated.  This would discard existing functionality in favor
> of different, new functionality.

Not really convinced of that idea either. To me things that are closely tied
to chronographical information (e.g. most recent collaboration buddies) is
better kept in the Journal or indirectly the Home View (e.g. by making it
easy to resume an activity that you and three classmates started
in biology class last week).

IMHO the group/friends view's focus should be on making it easy to discover
what other people in your environment (class, school, region, partner-school
in neighbouring country -> neighborhood view) and people you care about for
one reason or another (friends, project-partners, etc. -> group view) are
doing.
Christoph

--
Christoph Derndorfer