[Sugar-devel] Friends view UI affordances?

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Mon Aug 31 11:46:59 EDT 2009

Christoph Derndorfer wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> 5. Automatically add anyone with whom you have been collaborating to
>> the Friends view. (Doesn't quite solve the problem Michael describes,
>> but it will result in a populated view. And it is easy enough to
>> delete entries.)
>

> Personally I'm very much opposed to doing something like this without the
> user's explicit consent, especially since this is quickly going to result in
> a very cluttered "friend's view".

I agree... unless we rename it to something like the "Recent Friends"
view.  It could simply show, say, the 20 people with whom we have most
recently collaborated.  This would discard existing functionality in favor
of different, new functionality.  I suspect that this would still be an
improvement, and that the current Friends view is little-used, but it
would be nice to have confirmation from deployers before tearing out that
feature.

Ideally, both of these functions could coexist in the context of the
Groups View, but we have only the vaguest mockups of how Groups should
function, and even less of a blueprint for implementing them.

--Ben