[Sugar-devel] SarynPaint: a Java program packaged for the OLPC

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Aug 31 11:09:37 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 16:56, Jeffrey Kesselman<jeffpk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Honestly,  I think the lack of Java on the XO has more with python
> defensiveness then anything else.

Honestly, I don't think so. Most or all of the Sugar developers had
zero python experience when joined the project. And we are way too
busy to care about language wars.

> I draw this conclusion partly from the fact that it has been pretty
> crippling lack since initial inception of the XO, but one that there is
> great resistance to fixing nonetheless.

The Sugar platform is composed by what deployers want to be there, not
by what each developer would like. If that was the case, we would have
to ship the runtimes for all available languages and the XO doesn't
have enough room for that, nm for the student's work...

If you really think that Java should be there, propose to deployers of
Sugar an activity that will bring value to their students and tell
them to talk to us.

Regards,

Tomeu

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Ben Wiley Sittler <bsittler at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I think maintaining two parallel versions of the code in two languages
>> would be a huge waste of effort for me, but if someone else wants to
>> they are of course welcome to.
>>
>> I have neither time nor inclination to port it merely to work around
>> the historical accident of Java not having been Open Source at the
>> time Sugar was initially developed. Also, I think the UI of this
>> program is actually more friendly to very young children by *not*
>> being more Sugarized — there's no confusing Frame when they
>> (inevitably) move the pointer to the edges of the screen, and since it
>> doesn't (yet) have save support or text input there's really no reason
>> for a toolbar or Journal integration. Mind you, minimal save/resume
>> support might be nice to have on all platforms someday.
>>
>> On 2009-08-29, Gary C Martin <gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Ben,

>> > Sorry if this is a controversial comment, but would you considered
>> > porting the code to Python? It looks like a nice starter chunk of code
>> > for someone interested in Python and or Sugar Activities.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > --Gary

> ~~ Microsoft help desk says: reply hazy, ask again later. ~~

Farning