[Sugar-devel] feedback from a teacher in Uruguay

Tomeu Vizoso tomeu at sugarlabs.org
Mon Aug 31 05:42:49 EDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 01:07, Gabriel Eirea<geirea at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/8/14 Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>:
>> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 23:16, Sascha
>> Silbe<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:

>>> To me this sounds like OpenOffice is saving a later version of the
>>> OpenDocument (ODT) format than Write understands (similar to Microsoft Word
>>> 95 not being able to read documents that have been written by Microsoft Word
>>> 97). In that case, there may be a way to tell Open Office to save in the
>>> older ODT version, so that Write can still read it.
>>> I hope someone else more proficient with Write (Abiword) and OpenOffice will
>>> either confirm or disprove my suspicion.
>>
>> Yes, would be awesome to get those files and see in which format are.
>
> Well, finally I got some files to analyze the problem. Recalling the
> problem: the kids save a Write entry, the teacher moves the files from
> the journal to a pendrive, opens them in Ubuntu with OpenOffice,
> modifies them, saves them back again in the pendrive and moves them
> back to the journal in the kid's XO. But then when they try to open it
> in Write they see a blank page. Same thing if she saves from
> OpenOffice in pdf and tries to open it in the XO from the journal.
>
> Please find attached a compressed file with four examples.

Thanks a lot, these files are the ones from the XO or have been
already opened in OpenOffice?

Seems like the formats of those files are ok and I was able to open on
a XO with the 802 image, also after editing them in OpenOffice in
Fedora.

What I have seen during this test that could explain the confusion is
that if you change the files from the usb stick on non-Sugar, the
internal database on the stick is not updated.

This means that when you plug next the stick on the XO, you will see
the "ghost" entries associated to the old files plus some new entries
associated to the new files. If the user tries to copy the ghost
entries instead of the real ones (which look mostly the same) then I
can see how this problem would arise.

To verify this hypothesis, please tell the teacher to delete the
folder named .olpc.store in Ubuntu, before placing the usb stick back
on the XO. This will remove the ghost entries.

Thanks a lot,

Tomeu

Farning