[Sugar-devel] feedback from a teacher in Uruguay

Gabriel Eirea geirea at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 19:07:20 EDT 2009

2009/8/14 Tomeu Vizoso <tomeu at sugarlabs.org>:
> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 23:16, Sascha
> Silbe<sascha-ml-ui-sugar-devel at silbe.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 04:32:08PM -0300, Gabriel Eirea wrote:
>>
>>> 2) She saves Write documents in the pendrive, then she opens them at
>>> home with KUbuntu and OpenOffice, then she saves the modified document
>>> in the pendrive and tries to open it in the XO with Write. She claims
>>> she can't open it even if the document was not modified.
>>
>> To me this sounds like OpenOffice is saving a later version of the
>> OpenDocument (ODT) format than Write understands (similar to Microsoft Word
>> 95 not being able to read documents that have been written by Microsoft Word
>> 97). In that case, there may be a way to tell Open Office to save in the
>> older ODT version, so that Write can still read it.
>> I hope someone else more proficient with Write (Abiword) and OpenOffice will
>> either confirm or disprove my suspicion.
>
> Yes, would be awesome to get those files and see in which format are.

Well, finally I got some files to analyze the problem. Recalling the
problem: the kids save a Write entry, the teacher moves the files from
the journal to a pendrive, opens them in Ubuntu with OpenOffice,
modifies them, saves them back again in the pendrive and moves them
back to the journal in the kid's XO. But then when they try to open it
in Write they see a blank page. Same thing if she saves from
OpenOffice in pdf and tries to open it in the XO from the journal.

Please find attached a compressed file with four examples.

Thank you,

Gabriel