[Sugar-devel] Friends view UI affordances?

Michael Stone michael at laptop.org
Sun Aug 30 17:31:15 EDT 2009

Folks,

Before you know how Friends work, the Friends view it is completely barren
except for the central XO-person and, as a result, is rather unusable. What are
some ways that we could make the function of this screen more discoverable?

So far, I've thought of a couple of things which might do the trick, but I'm
interested in your feedback too. My ideas include:

 1. Putting up a label when you have no friends telling you how to go get some.

 2. Putting up a combobox listing people who you might add as friends.

 3. Putting up a display like the "journal empty" display to try to tell you
    why you aren't seeing anything.

 4. Putting up a button to move you to the neighborhood view, perhaps with a
    notification event to inform you of what to do.

Thoughts?

Michael