[Sugar-devel] Unbootable machine

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sun Aug 30 13:15:50 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 09:32:48AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>On 08/30/2009 06:21 AM, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>>
>> Please read the following:
>> http://advancemame.sourceforge.net/doc-makebootfat.html#7
>>
>> If you, after reading above, still feel that your questions are
>> relevant (hint: I don't), then please elaborate on them.
>>

>It's an interesting technique -- what he's doing is creating an MBR
>with a fake FAT superblock.  What it does make me wonder is how many
>BIOSes end up doing something stupid (e.g. go to a floppy-only mode
>where INT 13h AH=08h doesn't work right) instead of something right.

Unfortunately I have not stats on the success rate of the technique - on
the paper it sounds cool, and from the little experimentation I've done
it acutally succeeded in a few cases to provide me a USB stick that was
bootable on different BIOSes - which if using syslinux I could only make
boot on one or the other.

I do not master the details of juggling with this (e.g. I only know that
INT 13h is "something related to very early BIOS booting...").

So if I have now triggered your interest in this technique, Peter, then
perhaps we will see interesting funky tricks in syslinux in the future?

;-)

  - Jonas