[Sugar-devel] Good filesystem for USB flash with compression?

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Sat Aug 29 09:38:11 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 09:12:03AM -0400, Luke Faraone wrote:
>On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 09:01, Jonas Smedegaard <dr at jones.dk> wrote:
>
>> For the underlying fs I believe the best (i.e. reliable + fast +
>> non-wearing) is ext4 with journaling disabled.
>

>One of the problems we were seeing in the lab when using a overlay for
>user changes was that if the students unplugged the USB device before
>it was cleanly unmounted then all their data would be corrupted.
>
>Is ext4 (with journaling disabled) resistant to these sort of problems?

I believe these are the possible approaches, while avoiding wear:

  a) mount syncronously

  b) let fs corrupt, and rely on fsck at next mount

  c) use a true log fs

a) is dead slow so generally avoided. ext{2,3,4} use b) and a benefit of
ext4 is a quite speedy fsck.

If you are more adventurous then maybe try nilfs2 which is a log fs -
but it is not very mature so I wouldn't dare trusting my data to it.

  - Jonas