[Sugar-devel] The ARM is near

Philippe Clérié philippe at gcal.net
Sat Aug 29 08:14:48 EDT 2009

Why not treat Sugar as a distribution in its own right. As in: Sugar
is a GNU/Linux distribution with Sucrose as it's user interface. It
seems to me you're generally drifting in that direction. With Soas
it's now treated more or less as a spin/remix so it's not that much
of an extension.

As an outright distribution, you only have to support you, but the
software is still free, so others can create their own
distributions/spins pretty the same way there is an OpenSuse based
Soas.

Having a target distribution ipso facto gives you target versions
for your dependencies. If version 10.03.2A is what's available then
that's what activity developers should use. If others want to use
10.04.0 then it's up to them to send patches upstream.

You can use the base distribution's infrastructure for package
installation, support, bug fixes and compatibility with other
architectures.

None of this is new. That's pretty much what's being done already.
Except that nobody is calling Sugar a GNU/Linux distribution.

Cheers,
Philippe

--

Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense is that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>