[Sugar-devel] Ad-hoc network identification badge

Eben Eliason eben at laptop.org
Fri Aug 28 23:26:50 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> On 28 Aug 2009, at 21:51, Eben Eliason wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com>
>> wrote:

>>> OK :-) Just tested the buddy icon pretty much as is for an emblem, but it
>>> doesn't quite ring true (feels too fussy). Here's a few screen shots:
>>>
>>> So taking a leaf out of the emblem-locked style and came up with what I
>>> think is a much better emblem using a box outline and solid stroke colour
>>> for the buddy icon:
>>
>> Yup. I would definitely recommend the (unstroked, as you show it) XO
>> icon within the box, as well. The badge feels just a little high in
>> your mockups (it should be at a 45 degree angle from center, and
>> positioned so that the lower-right corner falls outside the 55px
>> recommended icon region, at (70,70)), but that's just an issue of
>> defining the hotspot correctly.
>
> I copied the existing emblem-locked.svg positioning without falter, so
> assume this is the emblem placing code that's a little off (unless
> emblem-locked is wrong).
>
>> Also, all bages are supposed to be
>> black fills with white strokes (and white symbols within the box, eg.
>> the XO itself). I think that never happened because entity support was
>> never added for badges.
>
> Oh, OK. So black box (white stroke?) with white buddy icon (in this example)
> is the intention?

Yup, these look great!

>> Does someone know how to add that so we can fix the badges up?
>> Alternatively, does someone want to update all of the default SVGs for
>> the badges so that they use the correct colors without use of
>> entities?
>
> Well the one's I've looked at have &stroke_color and &fill_color so it could
> just be a simple code change I guess (above screen shot was taken just by

Right. I made them with the proper entities, but the code path for
creating the badges isn't tied into the Sugar classes that do the
entity replacement (or something like that). So we'd have to look into
the badging code to see how to hook that up.

> changing stroke to white, and fill to black). But I can do that in each of
> the emblem-*.svg if that's all that is needed, and is easier for core devs?

That seems like a really quick short term fix, so it might be worth
doing, unless a few minutes investigation of the code presents an
obvious solution. Actually, we've honestly never had any designs for
colored badges and I don't anticipate them in the near term, so maybe
supporting entities there is overkill and modifying the SVGs directly
is the right course anyway.

Eben