[Sugar-devel] clash of user- and system-installed activities (was: Release Physics-3)

Jonas Smedegaard dr at jones.dk
Fri Aug 28 11:53:51 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 02:15:29PM +0100, Gary C Martin wrote:
>Hi Dave,
>
>Do you have Physics-2 installed on the SoaS? Depending on the SoaS
>version you have, the early ones had Activities installed in non-
>standard places, with non user permissions, and sometimes symbolic
>links :-( You would need to drop down into terminal, find and remove
>that Physics.activity folder. Then the normal install process should
>work as normal.
>
>FWIW: On old SoaS, my first task would be to drop into the Terminal
>and clean this all up manually, so that all the *.activity directories
>were migrated the expected ~/Activities, and ownership permissions of
>them given back to the user (recursive chown on ~/Activities). In the
>current SoaS activities are installed from their .xo bundles so this
>is no longer an issue :-)

Is this an issue specific to SoaS and/or Physics, or generally a
limitation of current Sugar that older system-installed Activities
disturb newer user-installed ones?

(or did I get it wrong that that was the actual issue here?)

Kind regards,

  - Jonas

Worried if Debian-packages activities conflict with user-installed ones.