[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] FSF attitude to xo and sugar

Bill Kerr billkerr at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 08:08:29 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 7:18 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de>wrote:

> On 28.08.2009, at 11:33, Bill Kerr wrote:
>
> > n Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 7:20 AM, Walter Bender
> > <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> === Sugar Digest ===
> >> 4. The recent FSF campaign condemning the use of Windows 7 in
> >> education (See http://windows7sins.org/) imputes OLPC in complicity
> >> with Microsoft. It is disappointing that the FSF is not making any
> >> constructive arguments in favor of free software alternatives to
> >> Windows such as Sugar on GNU/Linux, which is currently shipped on
> >> every machine distributed by OLPC.
> >
> > http://windows7sins.org/#1
> > When I first saw it I interpreted that page as contrasting the xo as
> > a positive alternative to Windows (and still think that is a valid
> > interpretation)
> >
> > When I read what walter wrote above later I was shocked to realise
> > that it could indeed be interpreted the way walter has, as well
> >
> > On revisiting I can't see any clarifying text there
>
> You need to click the "Learn more" link next to the XO picture.
>
> Citing from that concoction:
>
> "As a result, it is expected that the main effect of the OLPC project
> -- if it succeeds -- will be to turn millions of children into
> Microsoft dependents. That is a negative effect, to the point where
> the world would be better off if the OLPC project had never existed.
> The project tragically became yet another example of Microsoft
> exerting its control to ends harmful to society's freedom."
>
> It's tragic how they undermine their allies' efforts in their blind
> zealousness.

I see it now, thanks Bert. I agree, it's far too zealous and purist. I agree
with Luke too.
( I did click on that link before but it sometimes seems to just reload the
same page)
I do give the FSF an annual donation so I'll write to them and complain. I
thought the over zealousness came more from some FSF supporters than the
leadership but perhaps I was wrong.