[Sugar-devel] The ARM is near

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 06:45:34 EDT 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Tomeu Vizoso<tomeu at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> Yeah, I guess Jonas' suggestion of promoting platform independent
> bundles as "first class" addresses this concern.

+1

> I personally don't think we are going to be able to outdo rpms nor
> debs so the less binary code we have the better.

Agreed. One thing we _could_ do, without getting into the whole mess,
is to have a 'requires' metadata that gives the Sugar shell some
hints.

The shell can then

 - attempt to install rpm/debs to satisfy the req's... if it can
(dependent on sudo access, network access, and the collaboration of
the underlying pkg manager)

 - warn the user if the req's aren't met

I think there are existing GPL'd parsers for 'requires' in Python that
could be used. The usual logical OR ("|") can be used by mindful
activity creators to paper over package naming differences, etc.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions